For me, it was the first KubeCon, and it felt a bit overwhelming – It was the first big conference north of 1000 people after 2019. KubeCon was like a mix between a big DrupalCon and FOSDEM (when it comes to getting into rooms sometimes). I was able to attend a lot of interesting talks and meet a lot of interesting people. Got a good feeling for the community and the CNCF.
Very interesting was the Special Interest Group (SIG) and Working Groups (WG) Meet and Greet where I sat with a few core contributors from SIG Autoscaling and discussing certain challenges around that topic. It was very insightful to get directly in touch with the people building those components and nerding out on certain very edge case things when it comes to autoscaling clusters 😀
Good talks I attended or that are still on my watch list
- Gateway API Project Update – Gives a good insight into the current status of the Gateway API Project
- How SIG Release Makes Kubernetes Releases Even More Stable and Secure
- How to Blow up a Kubernetes Cluster – Still on my watch list, one talk I wasn’t able to get in. But breaking K8s Clusters is totally down my alley 😉
- Operating CERN SaaS at Scale with Operators – Running Drupal with Operators at the scale of CERN.
- Tales from on-Call: Fun with Operating Etcd at Scale – Basically what happens behind the scenes when you use AWS EKS.
- Show Me the Metrics: How a Huge Bank Does Observability with Multi-Tenancy Prometheus and Thanos – Thanos at scale – Very interesting implemented multi tenancy
All in All Feeling
- Big conference 10k people with almost 60% first time attendees
- Very commercial – No surprise there I was just not aware of the scale as I usually attend different conferences that have less commercialized structures
- The CNCF Kiosks have a great community feeling and are a great place to hang out and learn about the open source projects
- Great to get in touch with the community folks around Kubernetes
- Great on-site covid testing possibilities – liked it as it makes it easier to travel back knowing that you didn’t catch something during the conference
- Very solid organization – Everything went flawless and super happy to see such great organization at this scale
See you in Paris 2024 🎉